East of Paris Bookstore

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Old Town Belgrade


When I was a little girl, way back in the last century, my father used to tell me about some of the restaurants in the Skadarlija area of Belgrade that he used to like in the days that he was a dashing young officer in the Kingdom of Jugoslavia.
He told me about the Tri Šešira [Three Hats],
Dva Jelena [Two Deer],
and Ruski Car [Russian Tzar], which is located in the nearby pedestrian area of central Belgrade.
Earlier this month, I got to visit all three of these restaurants. The ones in Skadarilja are located on an old cobblestone street that can be treacherous and slippery, especially at night. During the summer season, a local newspaper publishes the nightly number of twisted ankles and broken legs experienced by women wearing high-heels.  Fortunately for me, it was still winter and I wore "sensible" shoes.

At the end of the International Women's Conference that I attended, about 20 of us got together for a farewell dinner at Tri Šešira [Three Hats].

















There was music
and good cheer
 and more good cheer.
There was also a terrific dessert of Baklava and tufahija [baked apples with walnuts, honey and a dollop of schlag]
Dad was right.  A great place with a touch of nostalgia.  They can leave the light on for my next visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...