East of Paris Bookstore

Friday, January 20, 2012

Concord

I had not been in a snow storm for at least five years and the weather report for parts of Massachusetts only predicted a day of rain. Naturally, I woke up to snow -- heavy, fat, wet flakes swirling down through a grey atmosphere.


Fortunately, I was "stuck" in meetings for more than day. By the time I was ready to leave, the show was melting and the sun finally came out. Equally fortunately, I ate some classic New England food  ...
Clam chowder -- creamy and thick at the Taj Hotel in Boston. The soup was good, but the hotel has really become threadbare since the time when it was a Ritz.  Don't think I'll go back.
The Colonial Inn in Concord is a charming contrast.  It has the quintessencial look of historic America and the building, which stretches back for centuries, is bright, well-kept, and cozy. It's a short walk from there to bookstores, the small and elegant Concord Museum with it's 1795 Revere lantern and Emerson's study. To quote the museum's literature:
For a small town, Concord has a big history. From the "shot heard round the world" to the writers of the American literary renaissance, things have happened here, words have been spoken here and books have been written here which changed the face of a nation.
This is the town of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women,


of Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond, and of Ralph Waldo Emerson's essays.

And, back to the Colonial Inn, it's a town for superlative crab cakes and sweet corn bread.


1 comment:

  1. I want to visit New England some day soon - I love American colonial history, and it looks like Concord should be on my list of places to go!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...