East of Paris Bookstore

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Souvenirs

Have you ever bought a souvenir while on a trip and then forgotten about it or wondered why you ever bought it?  Me too.  


While looking for something in a drawer, I found a felt wall hanging that I bought in Kyrgyzstan at the children's center where we saw a felt making demonstration.  I blogged about it here.

The little wall hanging is naive art at its purest ... made by young Central Asian artists, it features deer in abstract forms.  It at once reminds me of the cave paintings in Font de Gaume, France and of Indian sand paintings in the American Southwest. 


I could not bear to put it away and walked around the house looking for a place to hang it.


Once I found the right spot, it was obvious.  The felt deer from Kyrgyzstan have joined a bronze one from Bali.  The herd is complete.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...