East of Paris Bookstore

Sunday, December 19, 2010

St. Nicholas

Today is the Feast Day of St. Nicholas.  My family converted to Christianity on this day in the 700s, give or take a few decades, and we celebrate this blessing, called a Slava in Serbian, each year.  Mr. Wonderful and I are going to church in a few minutes taking the Kolach [a bread baked in a round shape] and our žito [a mixture of ground wheat, walnuts and sugar].  


Even though the family has been doing this for 1300 years or so, I have not been baking the Kolach very long, and I never know how it will turn out.  I will report later on this year's attempt.  As for the žito, that's much easier and foolproof.

For more about this tradition, go to my earlier post Slava.  Meanwhile, outside the rain is pouring and we're off running in between the drops!

P.S.  The Kolach was a success ... baked through and easy to slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...