East of Paris Bookstore

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Where I Write


"Where I Write" is a challenge question from the blog:  Writing with Style  Until I read about it, I did not give much thought to where I write.  For example, when we are travelling I have a routine:  I download my photos every night and write on my laptop in our hotel room, which hopefully has a desk.  If not, I sit on the bed and write there.  It’s easy to shut the door, settle down and just write.

At home, there are too many distractions.  To cope with those, I write in different places, all depending on what I am writing.  My blogging and writing for enjoyment takes place in the library.  I have a comfortable chair, I am surrounded by books I love and photo albums, and I can look out the northeast facing window. The desk was allegedly owned and used by Napoleon III.  However, he is not one of my “favs” so I don’t mind if it gets a few nicks or coffee stains.

Paying bills, tracking taxes, writing out travel plans, and all the administrative aspects of our life – business writing – takes place in my study.  The desk is a slab of glass supported by two Chinese cabinets.  It is about an inch too high for comfort, but suits the purpose of writing checks, thank-you notes, birthday cards, and spreadsheets to use for budgets and tax records.  A Mac is in the closet.  The study also serves as an extra guestroom, so there are times that I cannot claim full ownership, which means I cannot really "write" there.

And, if I am writing for a project from the office or on something that requires lots of space for documents, I write and proofread in the dining room.  The table is a large clear glass top with space for everything.  The room is rather minimalist; there are no books, telephone, or other little distractions.   It is still in range of the wireless signal and allows for an Internet connection.  I can look out the window at the ocean to clear my head, although I usually work with my back to the view.

6 comments:

  1. What beautiful writing areas you keep, they look so inspiring for immersing in the craft! I clicked over from Melissa's, enjoyed browsing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Popped over from Melissa's. What a gorgeous library! I am jealous...I'm at capacity for bookcases in my house, but of course I just keep buying books.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing spaces. Wow. I still contend I need a chair like you have...and your bookshelves! Serious, serious envy!

    Thanks so much for participating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I clicked on your link at Melissa's. Oh, I'm so envious of your workspace. So much light and space. And those bookshelves! I'm sure you gain lots of inspiration there.

    Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spaces are spaces. The real trick is to work in them! If it were only that easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love the space with all those books lining the walls! I don't think I'd want to leave there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...