East of Paris Bookstore

Monday, September 20, 2010

Last of Summer

Our local flower shop is starting to sell bouquets with autumnal colors and baskets of yellow and orange gourds and pumpkins. The end of summer is almost here and it seems like the time to enjoy fresh fruits before they are out of season. Oh, I know that, thanks to greenhouses and world trade, there are no seasonal limitations on getting fresh fruit. But, the feeling of change is in the air and buying some of the last local fresh fruit, especially when it was figs, was irresistible.  

I bought a small basket of fresh deep purple figs.  After eating a few, I cut the rest in half and put them in a bowl.  Then, I sprinkled on a pinch of kosher salt and a few tablespoon fulls of balsamic vinegar and Chambord liqueur.  Next, I covered the bowl and put it in the refrigerator for about four hours and stirred the figs every hour to make sure the liquid was evenly absorbed.

I served the figs with a dense almond cake -- one with pears and one with brandied cherries.  No recipe for the cake -- I bought it!

For more on Chambord, go to my Ice Cream Inspiration post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...