East of Paris Bookstore

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Figs with Tea & Walnuts

Reading about Trebizond and Samarkand and the places we’ll go, got me thinking about the cooking from this part of the world.  I found a recipe for dried figs that I made for our dessert.  It is a perfect way to use the light brown dried figs that are sometimes sold strung on a length of straw and are so hard you can chip a tooth.


The recipe is from The Ottoman Kitchen by Sarah Woodward.

12 dried figs
1 cup brewed tea [I used my favorite Royal Blend from Fortnum & Mason]
3 tablespoons honey [I used orange blossom honey]
Juice of  ½ lemon
5 bay leaves [I used dried ones that I’d picked from my mother’s laurel tree]
Walnut halves

Pour the hot tea over the figs and soak over night.  Remove the figs.  Measure out 1 cup of the soaking liquid [add water to the tea make a full cup] into a saucepan; add the bay leaves, honey, and lemon juice.  Boil on high heat for 3 minutes.  Add the figs, stem side up, and simmer for 20 minutes.  Cool.  After the figs are cool, cut a slit in the skin and stuff with a walnut half.  Serve on a plate with a little of the syrup.


1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! Great photo as well. Love how it looks on the gorgeous Lomonosov Cobal Net plate. You did not mention that honey, walnut and figs are well-known aphrodisiacs east of Paris. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...